Dylan turned seven last month. He's been asking for about a year to start karate. For Christmas this year we signed him up for karate and he loves it. A few months later we signed up Kate. They are quite darling in the karate uniforms. Dylan recently tested for his orange belt...and passed!!! Here he is at his test.
When Dylan heard there was an animated kids' karate movie he wanted to see it. I saw a Kung Fu Panda chapter book (about 150 pages) at Barnes & Noble about 2 weeks ago and bought it for him. He is already such a great reader and we are so excited to see our first child's love for reading. I figured that a little motivation might help since sometimes he gets overwhelmed with the length of chapter books. I told him that when he finished it we would go see the movie.
He read about 1 chapter a day for a week or so and then last night he started reading and about 2 hours later he'd finished the last 70 pages and announced at about 11:30pm that he was done! He was so excited! We went on our date tonight and loved the movie. I think it is the first time he hasn't asked, "is it almost over" in a movie. I also think it made a difference that he'd read the story and knew what was coming next. He almost seemed disappointed when it ended.
We are so proud of Dylan. He is such a sweet boy and it is a joy to see him developing and learning.

He read about 1 chapter a day for a week or so and then last night he started reading and about 2 hours later he'd finished the last 70 pages and announced at about 11:30pm that he was done! He was so excited! We went on our date tonight and loved the movie. I think it is the first time he hasn't asked, "is it almost over" in a movie. I also think it made a difference that he'd read the story and knew what was coming next. He almost seemed disappointed when it ended.
We are so proud of Dylan. He is such a sweet boy and it is a joy to see him developing and learning.

How cute is your family? It seems like you are always doing something fun and interactive with your children and surroundings. You make me want to become more active in the community but then I think how does she do it? You are amazing and so is your family! Thanks for joining the blog world so we can catch up! By the way, we're coming through on the 26th - are you available to get together? Jared's supposed to be coordinating it with Ben....we'll see!
ReplyDeleteZack sure misses Dylan in his karate class! We'll be anxiously awaiting Dylan's arrival in the green belt class.
ReplyDelete